Re: compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported withinstalled headers ?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> seems like something we should have spelled out in the manual and/or faq.
> what standards do we want to support with installed headers ?  and similarly,
> what min gcc version ?

Practically, GCC versions before 2.7.2.3 are fairly irrelevant because
they didn't support glibc 2.x with the Linux kernel (or GNU Hurd) - and
for architecture-specific headers, the minimum versions may be newer on
similar grounds.  Some headers however may be shared with gnulib, where
older compilers may be relevant.

I have suggested (in the projects list
<http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Development_Todo/Master> - note that the
ideas listed there are not necessarily fully formed project suggestions
and may not all have consensus) that __GLIBC_HAVE_LONG_LONG should be
removed - that support for "long long" should be considered a required
feature for use of the installed headers.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com