Re: Deleting git tags?

On 6/26/2012 4:52 PM, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>> We should be allowed to manage tags as we like to keep
>> the list clean.
>
> Again, not possible.  That's why I discourage the use of tags.

It is possible.

I can delete my local copy of the tag.

Then I can delete the repo copy of the tag (unless the repo
configuration forbids it).

What I can't do is delete *your* copy of the tag.

Only you can delete your local copy of the tag.

Once deleted it won't show up again in a pull because the
remote doesn't have a copy.

>> The only other problem is that users have to manage
>> keeping their local tags in sync with the remote repo,
>> but that's a question for another day (there are scripts
>> for doign this).
>
> What exactly do you mean here?

You have tags that were created as part of a pull from a
remote.

The remote has tags.

You want to keep only those tags locally which the remote
also has and which were created by a pull from the remote.

This is accomplished by several published scripts that
synchronize your list of tags with those on the remote
e.g. prune your local tag list for tags that were pointing
at a commit that came from the remote.

AFAIK git 1.8.0 will have an overhaul of the
tags which will fix this issue of synchronization for
users that care about it.

Cheers,
Carlos.