This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Weekday/Workday for EU locales in glibc
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com,Carlos O'Donell <carlos at systemhalted dot org>, Keld dot Simonsen at dkuug dot dk,pablo at mandrakesoft dot com, roktas at omu dot edu dot tr, mckinstry at computer dot org,"Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux dot org>,Allan McRae <allan at archlinux dot org>, everson at irlearn dot ucd dot ie,metra at mii dot lu dot lv, coolbox at seka dot ktu dot lt, torita at jp dot ibm dot com,jordi at gnu dot org, gpul at ceu dot fi dot udc dot es, debian-glibc at lists dot debian dot org,aurel32 at debian dot org, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>,raj dot khem at gmail dot com, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot de>,Adam Conrad <adconrad at debian dot org>
- Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:16:27 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: Weekday/Workday for EU locales in glibc
- References: <4F887991.firstname.lastname@example.org><CADZpyiwL2mPvGtrGu3Djt1wjYczeK2G7P5eXot5j8josh47WHw@mail.gmail.com><4FBD24FD.email@example.com>
On Wed, 23 May 2012, Jeff Law wrote:
> There's a long standing problem with handling of the first weekday and
> first workday in glibc's various EU locales. Carlos & I have both
> reviewed ISO 8601 and our reading is that for all EU members Monday is
> the first weekday and first workday.
ISO 8601 makes no provisions for changing the first weekday according to
locale; it is Monday for whomever chooses to follow that standard in its
entirety. Most (all?) european countries happen to follow it in this
> I'd like to get this addressed in all the EU locales, preferably
> en-masse rather than continuing to fault in a fix for each one when
> someone complains.
Shouldn't localedata/i18n (although it's not used as template for any
LC_TIME) and programs/ld-time.c then simply be changed to use the ISO 8601
defaults? Because, of all the 377 (on my system here) locales that
currently use Sunday as first weekday most of them have it only because of
these defaults. Only en_US, es_CR, et_EE, ks_IN@devanagari, shs_CA and
wa_BE set it explicitely, and of those only wa_BE is used as template for
a further locale's LC_TIME (wa_BE@euro). That is, 370 locales have first
weekday=1 just because of the default in programs/ld-time.c. Nobody can
tell me that this was a concious decision for each one of these locales,
rather than just accident.