This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: PATCH: Add x32 gettimeofday
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Add x32 gettimeofday
- References: <20120517121439.GA24956@intel.com>
Always make the top line of every new file a descriptive comment.
Maybe there aren't other cases yet, but this too seems sufficiently
formulaic that it would be better to do it with an automatic mechanism
along the lines of syscalls.list (and probably merged with it).
syscalls.list could list the vDSO symbol name and symbol version.
e.g., in the "Syscall name" column use:
This means that the shared library should get an IFUNC
that returns __vdso_gettimeofday from the vDSO, while
the static library gets a traditional syscall stub for gettimeofday.
I don't think it would be very hard to hack make-syscalls.sh to
support that. But I won't try to make you do it and I admit that
it's overkill if there is really only one instance.
So with the top-line comment fixed, you can put this in.
But please file a bug about better vDSO syscall support, with
a link to the archive of this message, and add firstname.lastname@example.org
to its CC list.