This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [x86-64 psABI] RFC: Extend x86-64 psABI to support x32
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor dot com>
- Cc: x32-abi at googlegroups dot com, discuss at x86-64 dot org, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:44:04 -0700
- Subject: Re: [x86-64 psABI] RFC: Extend x86-64 psABI to support x32
- References: <CAMe9rOqE84CeCEZHxahccP2obgb50zdJWuY0z3UzWnDYn=g_4A@mail.gmail.com><4FB14211.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, H. Peter Anvin <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 05/14/2012 10:31 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Support for the x32 psABI:
>> is added in Linux kernel 3.4-rc1. ?X32 uses the ILP32 model for x86-64
>> instruction set with size of long and pointers == 4 bytes. ?X32 is
>> already supported in GCC 4.7.0 and binutils 2.22. ?I am now working
>> to integrate x32 support into GLIBC 2.16 and GDB 7.5 ? Here is a
>> patch to extend x86-64 psABI for x32. ?Any comments?
> As a minor nitpick, I have always used x32 with a lower case x. ?The
> capital X32 looks odd to me.
I used X32 together with LP64. I can use ILP32 instead of X32 when
LP64 is mentioned at the same time.