This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: mallinfo(3) man page for review
- From: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki dot motohiro at gmail dot com>
- To: mtk dot manpages at gmail dot com
- Cc: linux-man <linux-man at vger dot kernel dot org>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 17:25:38 -0400
- Subject: Re: mallinfo(3) man page for review
- References: <CAKgNAkg2CKaEsOERkLyhsJ9N9nEpCm7oe_XzMBE1XBB_KkDoiQ@mail.gmail.com>
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
> I've written the man page page below to document glibc's mallinfo(3).
> Review comments welcome!
I don't find any issue. a few nit are below.
> .TP 10
> .I arena
> The total amount of memory allocated by means other than
> .BR mmap (2)
> (i.e., memory allocated on the heap).
> This figure includes both in-use blocks and blocks on the free list.
> .I ordblks
> The number of ordinary (i.e., non-fastbin) free blocks.
> .I smblks
> The number of fastbin free blocks (see
> .BR mallopt (3)).
It would be nice if a meaning of fastbin was described here.
It is allocation cache (for increasing cpu cache hit ratio) from
point of bird view.
> .I hblks
> The number of blocks currently allocated using
> .BR mmap (2).
It would be nice if glibc malloc try to allocate memory by using mmap directly
if size is greater than MMAP_THRESHOLD.
Also nice if refer mallopt and MMAP_THRESHOLD.