Re: The state of glibc libm

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:17:17 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for looking into all of these issues.

> (c) Various functions do not set errno correctly (many cases) or raise the
> proper floating-point exceptions (a smaller number of cases - both
> spurious exceptions where not permitted by ISO C, and failing to raise
> required overflow/underflow exceptions).  In general this is a separate
> bug for each function (filed as many separate bugs in glibc Bugzilla) and
> can be fixed by a separate local patch for each function (adding a
> testcase, of course - note that glibc's main libm-test.inc presently only
> tests invalid and divide-by-zero exceptions, so if working on these error
> handling issues it might be useful to extend it to cover other exceptions
> as well as errno values).

This reminds me that there are math tests local to the powerpc port
that therefore only run on powerpc.  For example, I've looked at
sysdeps/powerpc/test-arith{,f}.c and they don't seem so non-portable
that we couldn't run them everywhere with just some small tweaks.