Re: fewer open() calls done by gettext()

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:17, Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> wrote:
> I would suggest to reduce this to 2 calls:
> [...]

I definitely wouldn't want to change the default behavior.  There
might be people depending on this.

But I wouldn't object a patch which allows to customize the behavior.
Probably with an envvar

   GETTEXT_EXPAND=territory:encoding

This would get you the default behavior.  With

   GETTEXT_EXPAND=territory

you'd get what you propose.  People could have this in a file in
/etc/profile.d or their private shell rc script if they want.