This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Avoid GCC 4.7 optimization in elf/soinit.c
- From: Richard Guenther <rguenther at suse dot de>
- To: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot de>, libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com,Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:47:38 +0100 (CET)
- Subject: Re: Avoid GCC 4.7 optimization in elf/soinit.c
- References: <email@example.com> <CAOPLpQc63+hmxbJi_ZVLWzgw+NAoDt6-s=5ZJU0uOpXdw05ZyA@mail.gmail.com>
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 07:47, Andreas Jaeger <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > We recently got a bug report and analysis showed that gcc 4.7 optimized
> > __libc_fini and __libc_global_ctors to empty functions since it checked the
> > size of __CTOR_LIST__ and does not know that glibc changes the size at link
> > time.
> The question is why is this code there at all? The architectures
> which haven't converted have to and then this functionality will be
It's for backward compatibility, to be able to run old binaries.
Richard Guenther <email@example.com>
SUSE / SUSE Labs
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nuernberg - AG Nuernberg - HRB 16746
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix ImendÃrffer