Re: Fix ppc atomic ops.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> wrote:

>    Our glibc comes uses the appended patch. Andreas, is this still needed and
>    should go into glibc git?
>
>    Andreas
>
>    2008-05-30  Andreas Schwab  <aj@suse.de>
>
>           * sysdeps/powerpc/bits/atomic.h: Fix assembler routines.
>           * sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/bits/atomic.h: Likewise.

Andreas & Andreas,

I checked the glibc.spec file for this in the SuSE SLES glibc.spec
file for a bug reference to try to understand whether this is simply
an optimization or if it actually corrects a bug.

According to Michael Meissner the performance implication is that "the
compiler is told that it can use reg+reg addressing, instead of making
a temp register to hold reg+reg."

Is there something further to the story?

Ryan S. Arnold