This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH,HURD] Recognize GNU/Hurd-specific binaries
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: Samuel Thibault <samuel dot thibault at ens-lyon dot org>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com, jk at jk dot fr dot eu dot org
- Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH,HURD] Recognize GNU/Hurd-specific binaries
- References: <20110619130724.GV6349@const.famille.thibault.fr>
> Ground issue is this:
> gcc/glibc now uses GNU-specific extensions to the ELF format (GNU_IFUNC,
> GNU_UNIQUE). For such cases, binutils now emits binaries with the
> GNU/Linux-specific ELFOSABI_LINUX on GNU/Linux, and should also emit
> binaries with the GNU/Hurd-specific ELFOSABI_HURD on GNU/Hurd.
I am not convinced that the addition of an ELFOSABI_HURD makes any sense.
ELFOSABI_LINUX today really doesn't mean anything about an "OS", it just
means the presence of these GNU ELF extensions. I don't see why we
shouldn't use that flag uniformly across all kinds of GNU systems.