Re: RFC: Test optimizations for multiple architectures

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I assume you meant [...]
>
> That's not the only thing. ?The sad fact is that some idiot will build his
> production library with your configure option too. ?And the simple fact is
> that everyone else's package build times will suffer by having to do yet
> another whole glibc build just to run the tests and then throw it away and
> do the real build without the testing hacks built into the library.

--enable-test-multi-arch is intended for development build, not for production
build. My glibc development build environment is totally separate from the
production build environment. That is true for my gcc, binutils and gdb builds.

>> Override selection of functions at runtime may not be easy since it is
>> called quite earlier during start up.
>
> Unless you use LD_BIND_NOW, it's not done until the functions are used.
> Any references in libc's on PLT might be resolved early, for str* calls
> made in startup code before main. ?But the test program won't make any
> calls to str*/mem* itself before main runs.

You need to be very careful about circular dependency. The current runtime
selection doesn't require relocations. Anything more complex may require
relocations at run-time.

--
H.J.