Re: calling all release branch managers

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Roland McGrath wrote:

> How does the reopen procedure address having multiple stable branches
> alive at once?

Reopen if you think there's any branch that should have the fix that
doesn't.  If people prefer, the procedure could say "open a new bug" - I'm
just going by GCC practice where if we think something should be fixed on
a release branch (rather than just trunk), we leave it open until it is.

Another procedure we need is: open separate bugs for libc and ports, and
preferably separate bugs for different ports, rather than one bug with
both libc and ports patches, as different people will be dealing with
different areas and a maintainer should be able to close a bug once
they've dealt with the parts in their area.

> Perhaps I'm worrying where I shouldn't, but I wonder if this way could
> annoy trunk maintainers with bugzilla chatter about backport decisions and
> administrivia they would rather not see in their mailboxes (assuming they
> remained CC'd on the bugs because they were owners of them during the trunk
> stage).  I guess if the procedure is rigorous about milestone settings,
> then bugzilla mail can be filtered by X-Bugzilla-Milestone headers or
> something like that.

If we don't want this going to trunk maintainers once something is fixed
on trunk, then the procedure will need to be "open a new bug for the
branch" - and there will need to be a way for such new bugs not to CC the
trunk maintainers but to CC branch maintainers instead.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com