This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[RFC] add an option to buffer masked syslog messages
- From: Jeff Moyer <jmoyer at redhat dot com>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Cc: raven at themaw dot net
- Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:46:50 -0500
- Subject: [RFC] add an option to buffer masked syslog messages
I was about to start writing support for bufferring debug messages in
autofs, when it occurred to me that this is a fairly useful thing to do,
and it makes little sense for every application to reinvent the wheel.
What I'd like is to have a fixed size ring buffer to which messages that
are masked are logged. Then, if the application asks for these
messages, dump them to the log. The reason, if it isn't obvious, is so
that we can dump application state should a problem present itself when
debug logging is disabled.
What do folks think about this? Is it better accomplished elsewhere?