glibc 2.8

I've tagged the cvs tree for the release.  We tested it on x86, x86-64,
ppc32, ppc64, ia64, and s390x.  In the last days I've applied several of
the outstanding ppc patches and Jakub and I fixed quite a few more ppc bugs.

The result is that all tests pass on x86, x86-64, and ppc32.  ppc64 has
the expected long double failures.  ia64 and s390x should be mostly OK
as well.  You need working tools and kernels, though.

The list of user-visible changes is not large but there have been lots
of bug fixes:

Version 2.8

* New locales: bo_CN, bo_IN.

* New encoding: HP-ROMAN9, HP-GREEK8, HP-THAI8, HP-TURKISH8.

* Sorting rules for some Indian languages (Devanagari and Gujarati).
  Implemented by Pravin Satpute.

* IPV6 addresses in /etc/resolv.conf can now have a scope ID

* nscd caches now all timeouts for DNS entries
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* nscd is more efficient and wakes up less often.
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* More checking functions: asprintf, dprintf, obstack_printf, vasprintf,
  vdprintf, and obstack_vprintf.
  Implemented by Jakub Jelinek.

* Faster memset for x86-64.
  Implemented by Harsha Jagasia and H.J. Lu.

* Faster memcpy on x86.
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* ARG_MAX is not anymore constant on Linux.  Use sysconf(_SC_ARG_MAX).
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* Faster sqrt and sqrtf implemention for some PPC variants.
  Implemented by Stephen Munroe.

I will keep the trunk open for glibc 2.8 for a week.  Then I'll create a
branch for 2.8 and the trunk is open for 2.9.  The 2.9 release will be
in approximately 6 month.

- --
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â