Re: what is libc_pic.a ?

On Jan 12, 2008 7:43 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Metuki Sabhe wrote:
> > thank you Mike. I was wondering about libc_pic.a while looking for the
> > definition of __umoddi3(). Before I realized that function belongs to
> > libgcc, I found
> > it also in libc_pic.a...
>
> i doubt __umoddi3 is actually defined in libc_pic.a.  more likely libc_pic.a
> has an undefined reference to __umoddi3.

don't know why, but here it is:

metuki@linux:~/glibc-2.5-build$ objdump -d libc_pic.a
In archive libc_pic.a:
<snip>
divdi3.os:     file format elf32-i386
Disassembly of section .text:
<snip>
00000350 <__umoddi3>:
 350:   55                      push   %ebp
 351:   89 e5                   mov    %esp,%ebp
<snip>

> > I just wonder now whether libgcc can issue any system calls ? Now I really
> > think not.
>
> i think your definition of "system calls" is kind of vague.  gcc most likely
> will never actually execute a system call directly, but rather go through the
> C library.  there's no rules that say libgcc.a cannot call functions in the C
> library which cannot make system calls.  in fact, objects in libgcc.a most
> likely will contain references to functions in the C library which will
> execute a system call.

thanks for that. this helps.

> then again, i dont see why any of this matters whatsoever.

oh just for me to understand things in the global picture.

thank you again,
metuki.