Re: Implementing "Extensions to the C Library" (ISO/IEC WG14 N1172)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Richard Viney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to know if anyone's known to be working on an
> unofficial implementation of the C library extensions in ISO/IEC WG14
> N1172?
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1172.pdf

The current version is N1225.

> It proposes a number of new types and methods that make writing secure
> C code easier. A lot of it is already implemented as an optional

No, they make retrofitting large amounts of existing insecure code
(without removing arbitrary limits in that code but avoiding undefined
behavior in some cases when those limits are exceeded) easier.

The functions to make writing new secure code easier are those in DTR
24731-2 (N1248), not 24731-1.  The functions in 24731-2 are based on
existing prior art in glibc.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com