This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] getaddrinfo(): option to not sort IPv4 addresses
- From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>
- To: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien at aurel32 dot net>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:41:21 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] getaddrinfo(): option to not sort IPv4 addresses
- References: <20070816212421.GA30105@amd64.aurel32.net>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> In Debian we have added a new option to /etc/gai.conf (disabled by
> default) to ignore this rule for IPv4 addresses. Please find the patch
> below in case you are also unhappy about this behaviour.
No freaking way! The reason we have that sorting is to get consistency.
I won't add such an option to disturb it. Not to sort is completely,
utterly wrong since the order in which addresses are returned from the
service are more or less random.
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----