Re: [NETLINK]: Restore API compatibility of address and neighbour bits

Am Freitag, 8. Dezember 2006 22:33 schrieb David Miller:

> [IF(L)A_(RTA|PAYLOAD) macros]
>
> iproute got fixed, dhcpclient and friends should get fixed to not use
> them either

Today's git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shemminger/iproute2.git
contains stuff like

#ifndef IFA_RTA
#define IFA_RTA(r) \
        ((struct rtattr*)(((char*)(r)) + NLMSG_ALIGN(sizeof(struct
ifaddrmsg))))
#endif

and still uses these macros in various places. I wouldn't call that fixed.

Even though the macros are back now, what is the suggested replacement for
userspace programs? The new nla_get_*()-inlines in net/netlink.h are not even
exported by make headers_install.

For new projects, I'll just use libnetlink. dhcpclient however is also
targeted at embedded systems (and has been used to learn about netlink ;-),
so I don't plan to link it to another not so small library.

Stefan