This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Use uname not sysctl to get the kernel revision
- From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor dot com>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>, Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>, "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm at xmission dot com>, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead dot org>, "Randy.Dunlap" <rdunlap at xenotime dot net>, akpm at osdl dot org, linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:09:09 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Use uname not sysctl to get the kernel revision
- References: <20060712184412.2BD57180061@magilla.sf.frob.com> <44B54EA4.email@example.com> <20060712195349.GW3823@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz>
Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:33:56PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
Roland McGrath wrote:
We could also put the uname info (modulo nodename) into the vDSO.
Or even better: real topology information.
AND rather than OR would be even better. So glibc could find kernel
version, etc. and topology in the vDSO cheaply.
Wouldn't it make more sense for this to be in ELF tags, rather than the
vdso? Another alternative, I guess, would be to put a pointer in the
ELF tags, which may point into the vdso.