Re: Locale/charset combinations

Hello Daniel,

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:03 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 04:54:01PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > Why are currently so few locales/character set combinations supported?

> What do you want that can't be achieved by setting LC_CTYPE?

Setting LC_CTYPE does not do much good if the necessary compiled
locale/charset combinations aren't available on the system.

In the mean time people have drawn my attention to localedef as the way
to add locale/charset combinations to the system.

The reason the glibc developers choose to support only a limited set of
locale/charset combinations, even though hard linking redundant files
saves some disk space is to avoid bloat.

Another way to avoid bloat to me seems to scrap the whole compiled
locale tree from /usr/lib/locale and only work with the (compressed?)
locale-archive.

Leonard.