Re: glibc stacking up to Windows

Dwayne Grant McConnell wrote:

Please go to http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ and read the History and Project Goals sections of the web page.

I did and found...

"The GNU C library is primarily designed to be a portable and high performance C library."

Sounds good to me.

It is not a goal of glibc to implement Win32 functions. You will have to look elsewhere for that sort of Windows compatibility work on Linux.

You seem to desire to start religious OS battles, not answer my question. On Windows, Win32 and the Windows API's are the "core" API's available to programs written in C. On Linux it would appear to me that glibc is the equivalent library of functions available to C. Is this not what glibc is to Linux?

My program needs to simply COPY A FILE! Also, figure out what file has been specified, and arrive at the fully qualified filespec based on what it was provided. I asked how Linux C developers do those sorts of things since it would appear glibc does not offer API's to do so. What, no one copies files on Linux?!

Enough of the attitudes and let's talk results... like getting a bloody file copied. >:-| The answer is not "well glibc has always been that way". Do you Linux folks want to win the battle or the entire war... make your decision. You can win the battle of why not to implement CopyFile() in the C API... but HOW does that help you win the real war?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems