Re: Speeding up the dynamic linker with 100s of DSOs?

> These are unittests, so they only get executed once or twice per
> linkage.

Then this is not a case that really matters to do something about system-wide.
We put optimization efforts towards the common cases, not the corners.

> Prelinking is slower than just letting the dynamic linker take care of
> things.

That will probably always be the case if you are only ever going to run the
binary once.

> I'm going to try to fix this for us somehow and release a patch,
> whether it goes into the official glibc or not. Perhaps my efforts
> would be better directed towards speeding up prelink. I haven't
> actually looked at the implementation yet.

What we'll encourage is whatever efforts help to optimize cases that affect
a lot of users.  Linking something and then running it only once, is common
for you and me, but not common among dynamic linker invocations overall.
If you find improvements to the dynamic linker that improve your case
without hurting others, nor (further) overly complicating the code nor
other downsides, we will of course be receptive.  There are certainly other
cases of programs that load way too many DSOs, and some of those are with
dlopen and thus much harder to help with prelink.  But algorithm
improvements or tunings need to be beneficial across the board, or at least
beneficial to worthwhile cases while not harming other common cases.

Thanks,
Roland