Re: Piecemeal library loading causes slow startup of big apps

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Lorenzo Colitti]
as my google SoC project I have been working on improving GNOME
startup time, and I see that dynamic linking is one of the culprits.

Are you aware of the efforts in fedora, gentoo, ubuntu and debian to improve the boot speed?

I am aware of some efforts, perhaps not all of them. The most recent I am aware of is preload (http://preload.sourceforge.net/).

However, from what I have seen these solutions are more specific than what I am suggesting, and less applicable to other things such as application startup (e.g. firefox). Furthermore, these solutions use closed-loop feedback (e.g. "training" during the boot process), which is not required in cases like these.

Regards, Lorenzo