Does not-cancel.h need to inline syscalls?

The file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/not-cancel.h causes system calls to
be inlined in various places.  Is this necessary?

I ask because I am building a modified version of glibc in which all
system calls that use filenames are intercepted, so I need to prevent
the inlining.  The modified glibc is used to provide a secure
restricted execution environment that runs normal Linux executables.
Processes are put in a chroot() jail and the modified glibc's open()
works by making a request via a socket.  (See http://plash.beasts.org
for more about this.)

I have changed not-cancel.h to declare open_not_cancel() etc. as
"extern" functions, and I have split off the definitions into separate
*.c files.  Would there be any reason why this could not be merged
into mainline glibc?

Thanks,
Mark