standard hash interface

Hello folks,

please, cc me with answers, since I'm not subscribed. I have some very
simple questions regarding the standard libc hash functions (hcreate,
hsearch,hdestroy).

Basically, once an entry is inserted in the hash, isn't there any way to
remove it ? (Well, I did noticed that it hasn't, but is there any
reason?)

I did see that posix does not specify any mechanism for doing so, but
since I do feel that removing a key from a hash is in fact an important
operation, I would like to hear more on the subject if any of you have
something relevant that could help me understanding it. Also, is there
any strong issue involved in providing a GNU extension for it?

Regards,

Glauber.

--
Glauber de Oliveira Costa