Problems with creating bootstrap headers for MIPS toolchain...

Greetings.

I have discovered some issues with HEAD of glibc and trying to
get a set of headers to bootstrap compiling a HEAD of GCC, 4.1.0
currently. The first snag that I hit was during the initial
configure. On line 4104, the check for gcc is:

3.4*| 4.[0-9]* )

in glibc-2.3.3 it was:

3.[2-9]*|4.[01]*)

However, this is a chicken and egg problem if I am looking at
it correctly. The gcc being checked should be a MIPS gcc compiler,
not the host gcc. Just for fun, I used a host gcc-3.4 compiler
and then get errors associated with 'gcc -mabi=32 ....' and that
gives me:

cc1: error: invalid option `abi=32'

which again makes perfect sense. So, what is the proper way to
install glibc headers so that the cross compiler can be built,
but at the same time not disable the gcc check which is getting
confused? Thanks.

-Steve