Re: forestalling GNU incompatibility - proposal for binary relative dynamic linking

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:15:49PM -0800, Edward Peschko wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:49:47PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> > Edward Peschko wrote:
> > >I build glibc out of the box, ie: no patches on a SuSE machine, same
> > >version as the OS (glibc-2.3.3), using latest gcc(gcc-3.4.3)
> > >get segmentation faults every time when I try to run it against
> > >system binaries.
> >
> > Why are you replacing the system glibc?  That's never a good idea.
>
> I'm not replacing the system glibc - all I am doing is making the point
> that *if* you compile glibc and run it against system binaries, the
> system binaries break.

How do you do that?
If you are using ld.so from one glibc build with libc.so from a completely
different one, there is no guarantee that will work.  There is a private
interface between them that keeps changing.  But glibc as the whole set
ought to be backwards compatible for programs and shared libraries.

	Jakub