Re: Retry mechanism w/ DNS Format Error?

Pekka Savola wrote:
Now, apparently the RHL9 resolver code cannot cope with FormErr code quickly, but has to resort to timeouts. (I've been unable to verify this on a newer glibc because it no longer creates the bitstring queries,

Sure they do, if use tell it. Set the ip6-bytestring option in resolv.conf.

Anyway, I tried to reproduce it, but your server is not accessible to me. I took only a brief look at the code. In the one place where FORMERR is handled, it marks the error as not recoverable. I'm not sure whether this is the right place or whether unrecoverable errors are handled appropriately.

As long as I cannot reproduce it I cannot do much unless you provide detailed information about the code flow for these responses.

And please file any such reply in bugzilla, else it might get lost.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â