Re: Why is the sort-test ignoring ':', '(' and ';' and trailing space

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:54:17AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Petter Reinholdtsen, 2003-07-06]
> > I just discovered that the current sort test is ignoring the three
> > characters ':', '(' and ';', and is skipping trailing whitespace.  Why
> > is this?
>
> I got no reply to this one, so I assume there is no good reason for
> it.  Unless someone come up with a good explanation soon, I'll prepare
> and submit patches to modify the sort tests, and the sort test data
> that need to change because of this.

It is probeably not ignoring these characters, but handling them as
special characters, which are ignored at the first 3 levels, and then
handled at level 4. This is in accordance with many national and
international standards.

Maybe you can give more information, locale, test data, for what you see
is a problem?

Best regards
keld