This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: ldd output for sysinfo DSO
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:06:20 -0700
- Subject: Re: ldd output for sysinfo DSO
> Is that really an improvement?
Yes. You made it lie. Confusion is better than falsehood.
> It'll sure confuse a lot of scripts that parse ldd output.
The semantic change slipped in with your kernel bug workaround violated
essential semantics that anything using l_name was heretofore expecting.
That is, it's an absolute file name where the DSO came from. For this
entry, there isn't one of those and falsely claiming some random string is
not helpful. I really don't think l_name ought to be set to something that
could in any way be interpreted as a file name. ldd output could make a
special case for l_name being "" and print something more informative, though.