Re: include/gnu-version.h: _GNU_ARGP_INTERFACE_VERSION ?

> Thanks.  They are in sync now.  There are some standalone portability
> problems which are being sorted out, and I will be submitting patches for
> them.  The intention is that the patches should work both within libc and
> for standalone applications via gnulib.  Once this is done, the argp
> files should IMHO be added to the script in gnulib that update the files
> from libc, and the canonical place for the files is libc.

That all sounds precisely as it should be.  Send unidiffs with separate
ChangeLog entries in canonical form to libc-alpha for all these changes.
The final set can be the addition of the #ifdef-yourself-out conditions in
the source files and the new macro in gnu-version.h.

> Btw, do you know what happened to linewrap.* in libc?  ChangeLog
> mention them several times (1996-1997), and argp detect and use
> linewrap if available, but the files seem to have disappeared from
> libc long time ago, without any traces in ChangeLog.  If that was
> intentional, I think it would help readability to remove all the
> linewrap cruft in argp, although I won't send patches for this until
> gnulib argp has stabilized for a while, since it doesn't cause real
> problems.

linewrap was part of the old GNU stdio, which was removed entirely in 2.3.
The log entry just mentions the directory as a whole, not each file's name.
(In 2.2.x the stdio/ subdirectory contains linewrap.[ch].)  linewrap was
written in terms of GNU stdio and would need to be rewritten for libio.
If there is not general interest in having that feature to use with libio,
then there is no need to keep anything but argp's built-in wrapping code.

Thanks,
Roland