Re: PR libc/5013: Bad gramar in fi_FI locale

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote on 2003-05-29:
> There is also a Finnish euro locale for POSIX approved by CEN,
> which I can find for you if you like. This one is normative.
>
> What are the changes you propose?

At the moment glibc fi_FI locales has following fields (converted to plain
text):
    d_t_fmt  "%a %e %B %Y %T"
    date_fmt "%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"

These are grammatically incorrect. Look at
http://std.dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/narrative/fi_FI,_1.0
Under the title Date in non numeric format there is an example
    25. tammikuuta 1999
d_t_fmt of glibc would produce something like
    ma 25 tammikuu 1999 14:54:47
Notice the missing fullstop after the number of day of month and the
missing inflectional ending "ta" after the name of the month.
ma is for maanantai. That is Monday in Finnish.
Fullstop converts cardinal to ordinal number and inflectional ending "ta"
converts nomative form of the name of the month to partitive form.
So it should be:
    d_t_fmt "%a %e. %Bta %Y %T"

date_fmt of glibc would produce something like
    pe elo???  1 14:54:47 EEST 2003
The problem is there is quite a many spaces between the abbreviated month
name and the day of month. If it doesn't have to fixed length these would
be much better:
    pe elokuun  1. 14:54:47 EEST 2003
    pe  1. elokuuta 14:54:47 EEST 2003
These can be produced by patterns
    date_fmt "%a %Bn %e. %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"
    date_fmt "%a %e. %Bta %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"
If it has to be fixed length, well don't change it then.

While going through the page
http://std.dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/narrative/fi_FI,_1.0
I noticed that locales have fields mon_thousands_sep and thousands_sep,
too. In Finnish locale these are set to be fullstops. However, thousands
separator in Finnish is nonbreaking space although fullstop may be used in
monetary context. Those fields could also be corrected. So it should
probably be:
    mon_thousands_sep "<U00A0>"
    thousands_sep     "<U00A0>"