This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
- From: "Carlo Florendo" <carlo at astra dot ph>
- To: <libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:05:06 +0800
- Subject: getpass obsolete?
I've successfully compiled an application from redhat linux 8.0 that uses the getpass function from /usr/include/unistd.h. There is
no problem whatsoever but I was just bothered by the
documentation on linux when I did a "man getpass". The first line of the description says:
"This function is obsolete. Do not use it."
The package where unistd.h belongs on my linux machine is glibc-devel-2.2.93-5 (if this is indeed relevant).
The opengroup also state that getpass is already legacy code.
So my questions are:
1) Is getpass really obsolete? If it is indeed, what is the alternative function or do I have to implement my own in the future?
Kindly CC me in the replies since I'm not part of the mailing list.
Thanks a lot! :)
Astra (Philippines), Inc.