This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Optimize glibc for Pentium 4
- From: GOTO Masanori <gotom at debian dot or dot jp>
- To: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>,GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 19:41:02 +0900
- Subject: Re: Optimize glibc for Pentium 4
- References: <20030521140656.A30791@lucon.org><3ECD2FCA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
At Thu, 22 May 2003 13:15:06 -0700,
Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> H. J. Lu wrote:
> > /* XXX Which others to add here? */
> > - HWCAP_IMPORTANT = (HWCAP_I386_MMX)
> > + HWCAP_IMPORTANT = (HWCAP_I386_MMX | HWCAP_I386_XMM | HWCAP_I386_XMM2)
> This won't go in.
> Yes, MMX is not very useful and maybe it should be removed.
I second it.
At least, I have not looked libraries which needs MMX as
HWCAP_IMPORTANT on Debian which has over 10000 packages. MMX aware
libraries (ex: vlc (VideoLAN player)) usually detect MMX bit