compile failure of glibc-2.3.2 due to static libgcc

 i have been unable to compile glibc 2.3.2 on two different systems where
 the same error is manifested. attached is the file (libc.so.lds) where the
 error occurs, which is the following:

 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/
ld: /home/times/gg/glibc/libc.so.lds:114:parse error

 another system gives the same error but since it is a different machine the
 line number  of the error is different. if you need to see that file i can
 provide it...but since that system is a 386/40 it will take about 4 days
 (bwhahaha) to compile and generate the error, so it is not included here.

 utilities needed for the compile are all up to date. the compile failed
 with both gcc 3.2.2 and 3.2.3.

 i had compiled my gcc with --disable-shared, and thus libgcc is static.
 glibc will not compile with this compiler configuration, manifesting the
 error as described above. on a hunch, i recompiled gcc to generate the
 dynamic libgcc and glibc  compiled successfully with the new compiler.

 However, I prefer that libgcc be static for reasons concerning the presence
of multiple gcc versions on my systems and the vagaries of using the
different versions so that they access their own libgcc version.

surely there is a way around this? Aside from this situation the static gcc
seems to function fine. Thanks for any assistance

fractoid