This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] ctype.h (another try)
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- To: Ian Wienand <ianw at gelato dot unsw dot edu dot au>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:08:54 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] ctype.h (another try)
> i think by using a union you are explictly specifying your punning, so
> gcc can know what you are up to and take account accordingly.
A union whose members are pointers is not any different than casting the
pointer type, I don't think. A union helps when it's the type of the
memory being pointed to.