Re: adding n32, n64 and o32-on-64-bit-kernel support to the mips port

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 09:11:31AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Even though the kernel currently preserves them, the information I got
> from Ralf Baechle is that it could very well stop doing so.  There are
> no guarantees about it, so we'd better not depend on that.  The
> registers that may be clobbered by a syscall are the same that may be
> clobbered by a regular function call, except that the kernel won't
> clobber floating-point registers, by design.
Sure - that's the theory. In practice the kernel clobbers much less
registers than that (and has done so for a long time). So this aspect of
INLINE_SYSCALL isn't broken atm. I won't object to adding a1,a2 to the
clobbers list though, if we want to be on the ultra save side.
 -- Guido