Re: state of the project

> > > PPC64, S390, S390x are in a slightly different boat.  Here the
> > > development stopped after the port was finished and glibc worked, at
> > > some time, out of the box.  Continued maintenance is missing and it
> > > shows.  I think glibc cannot even be compiled for any of these platforms
> > > today.
> >
> > s390 and s390x both compiled fine with CVS from December 2nd, 2002.  I
> > don't have the `make check' output handy, though.
>
> But they certainly don't work since the cancellation changes in linuxthreads
> (ie. since mid December).
> I wrote sysdep-cancel.h and other stuff for s390 (32-bit) today, already
> passes make check with exception that socket.S using routines aren't yet
> cancellable (writing that now).

This is true. As an excuse I can only say that I took the rest of my free days
for 2002 over christmas and just came back on tuesday. Although I think to
say that continued maintenance is missing for s390 and s390x is a bit hard.
I know that the TLS support for s390 and s390x is missing but my day has only
24 hours. We are working on it at the moment and I have just finished a patch
for the binutils that introduces the support (did that one over christmas).
Next step is the compiler, Ulrich Weigand is working one it right now and he
already had some change requests for the binutils part of TLS. But there is
definitly light at the end of the tunnel. Next thing on my to-do list is the
glibc part of the TLS support for s390 and s390x. Stay tuned.

blue skies,
   Martin

Linux/390 Design & Development, IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Schönaicherstr. 220, D-71032 Böblingen, Telefon: 49 - (0)7031 - 16-2247
E-Mail: schwidefsky@de.ibm.com