Re: Miscompilation of glibc with CVS mainline

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:42:27AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> The problem here is that somebody thought s/he can be very clever and
> add one more optimization without knowing the history of gcc.  We had
> problems with exactly this situation several times over the last years
> and always it has been the case that gcc was adjusted to *not* remove
> the test.

The history is not quite as you remember.

Once upon a time, GCC wasn't able to track whether or not a
particular symbol is or is not weak at the rtl level, and
thus we had to assume that all symbols were weak.

Now it is the case that we *can* track this, and so we do.

Note that the *only* way to subvert this scheme is to use
inline assembly to force the symbol weak behind gcc's back.
All I can say here is "Don't Do That".

r~