Re: glibc-2-2-branch and ppc64

Jack Howarth writes:

>    Do we really intend to check the powerpc64 code changes
> into glibc-2-2-branch? I noticed someone appears to checked
> part of those patches into that branch leaving it in a messy
> state. All of the libgcc-compat.S stuff is gone from
> glibc-2-2-branch now. Unless we absolutely need powerpc64
> in that branch I would regress all of Steve Munroe's patches
> out of there and just leave them in the main branch for
> glibc 2.3 only. What do you guys think?

It was not my intent to have the powerpc64 specific configuration or code
checked into the glibc-2-2-branch.

However there are some patches, developed for powerpc64 that should be
included in glibc-2-2-branch. These patches either fix exiting problems
(memset.S and spinlock.c are two examples) or enhance
interoperability/coexistence between 32-/64-bit powerpc applications. For
example allowing LD_PRELOAD to contain mixed 32-/64 libraries.