Re: linuxthreads, POSIX 1003.1j and CLOCK_MONOTONIC

--- Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 12:19, Tom Gall wrote:
>
> > We are planning on getting this implemented in the
> next couple of
> > months. Basically we're working on getting the
> rest of the
> > POSIX Realtime Options that are currently NOT
> implemented, implemented.
>
> And this should in some way be positive?  That you
> even think about
> implementing CLOCK_MONOTONIC shows that you didn't
> even try to
> understand the issues.  This clock cannot be
> implemented without
> breaking the ABI.

The issue is that the existing 1003.1c implementation
has race conditions with respect to system clock
discontinuities.  The POSIX working group knows this,
which is why they addressed it in 1003.1j.

If I am building all my code from source, I really
don't care about binary compatibility.  I just want
the race conditions fixed.

Brian