Re: floating-point formats

Hi,

> The VAX formats are sign-magnitude, right?  The PDP-10 formats are

   Yes.

> two's complement.  This means that assigning to x.ieee.negative won't
> work, since the entire value is affected by a sign change.  Functions

   Ok, more accessor functions/macros then.

> Does anything in glibc rely on the existence of inf or NaNs?  The
> PDP-10 has neither, and I don't think there are any reserved bit
> patterns.

   stdio-common/printf_fp has several isnan calls. strtod mentions
it. There are lots of mentions under sysdeps/generic, but I dont
think we are counting those.

> I'm thinking "do as much as possible in sysdeps/{vax,pdp10}".

   Lets see what happens with float-format.h The changes may be
trivial for many files once that is taking shape.

    Cheers,
       Andy
--
Dr. Andy Phillips			atp@pergamentum.com