Re: OpenGL and the LinuxThreads pthread_descr structure

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 15:41, Gareth Hughes wrote:
> I would like to propose a small change to the pthread_descr structure in
> the latest LinuxThreads code, to better support OpenGL on GNU/Linux
> systems (particularly on x86, but not excluding other platforms).  The
> purpose of this patch is to provide efficient thread-local storage for
> both libGL itself and loadable OpenGL driver modules,

glibc already supports the thread-local storage extension to ELF and so
does binutils.  Only gcc support is missing but you can work around this
with asm.  Once gcc has the support you'll be able to write

  __thread some_type some_var;

as if some_var would be a global variable.  In fact it'll be
thread-specific.

This is the only way you'll get access to thread-local storage.  It is
out of question to allow third party program peek and poke into the
thread descriptor.