Re: stdio.h and sys_errlist on i386-gnu

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 09:41:01AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> You want to add the horrible sys_errlist hack just because you'd have to
> patch one more package?

No, I want the declarations to be removed from the file for the Hurd, as I
have stated in my original post.  The packages pick up the declaration and
think it is defined and try to use it.  Then linking fails.  The fix is to
remove the declaration.

It is not possible to provide an array of error numbers to message mapping
on the Hurd.

> Try to root out the use of sys_errlist.

That's what we are doing for three years now.

> Convert the bit of code which
> depends unconditionally on it to use strerror or strerror_r.

The packages I am talking about have a check for sys_errlist which
mistakenly thinks it is available on the Hurd because of the declarations in
stdio.h.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de