This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: getaddrinfo with PF_UNSPEC and /etc/hosts
- From: Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore dot fi>
- To: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com>, Solar Designer <solar at openwall dot com>, Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat dot de>
- Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:41:31 +0200 (EET)
- Subject: Re: getaddrinfo with PF_UNSPEC and /etc/hosts
On 22 Nov 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Pekka Savola <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > It was pointed out by Rafal Wojtczuk on Owl development list that telnet
> > that ships with Red Hat Linux 7.2 does not behave the way one would expect
> > when resolving names using /etc/hosts. That is, if you have:
> > [...]
> And you are unable to read the glibc documentation why? The BUGS file
> clearly document this.
Sorry, I didn't notice this.
For more info, e.g.:
Debian appears to have a patch that AFAICS hacks around this
(debian/patches/glibc22-getaddrinfo.dpatch), I haven't tested to see if
this is the case.
The patch appears to be:
--- glibc/sysdeps/posix/getaddrinfo.c~ 2000/11/18 08:30:02 1.34
+++ glibc/sysdeps/posix/getaddrinfo.c 2001/01/09 01:46:49
I'm wondering if this has been tested and verified to work around these
problems, but it's getting off-topic for this list.
Pekka Savola "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security. -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords