Re: GCC-3.0.1 can't compile Glibc-2.2.4

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:04:02AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:37:05AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
> >
> > > Can you tell me how you install libc.so compiled with gcc 3 on a system
> > > where gcc 3 is not installed and make sure the old C++ binaries which
> > > call __frame_state_for still work correctly when an exception is thrown
> > > inside of libc.so?
> >
> > Who cares about this?  If you compile with gcc3 you can be expected to
> > haev gcc3 installed.
>
> libc.so may be compiled on a different machine with gcc 3 and the
> target machine may not have gcc 3.0 installed.

So you shouldn't install that libc.so unless you install libgcc_s.so too.

> If we really don't care this case, why not just build libc.so with
> -lgcc_s when we build glibc with gcc 3? We don't have to include any
> real libgcc functions in libc.so. We just leave some stubs in glibc
> which call the real thing in libgcc_s.so.1. Did you try to avoid
> idea. In that case, why do we even put those real functions in libc.so?
> At least, _Unwind_Find_FDE and __frame_state_for come to my mind.

I think we talked about this way back.
Yes, I want to avoid loading libgcc_s.so.1 into every single program when
they don't need it at all (think about all C programs).
The real functions are in libc.so, because every library, be it C or C++
one, registers its .eh_frame.
If you don't want the __frame_state_for fallback implementation for glibc
compiled with gcc3+ (it is necessary for glibc compiled with pre-gcc3), it
can be simply #ifdefed out, it is just 2 #if's and 2 #endifs. But then
you'll moan that glibc compiled with pre-gcc3 is different from the one
compiled with gcc3 (though the exported symbols would be the same).

	Jakub