GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?

Hi all,

I'm used to follow with interest the development of both GCC and GLIBC
and some time ago I asked the help of the discussion lists about the
obnoxious problem of glibc2.2.x vs gcc(3.x,2.95.x).
Very kindly, Jakub Jelinek answered my message, even hacking a patch vs
gcc2.95.3 ( http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg00748.html )

Anyway, the fact is, at present there is *no way* to build a reliable
couple (compiler + libc) using *official*, *released* up to date
packages of both.

Now, Ulrich Drepper answers in this way to a message by Jelinek:

>> I think libgcc_s.so.1 vs. GLIBC needs to be resolved, see my mail in
>> `GCC 3.0 and GLIBC don't work together' thread on libc-alpha.
>> I think glibc 2.2.4 should be compilable by GCC 3.0 now when it is
released.

>I don't see this as a requirement.  In fact, I have no interest to
>introduce such major changes.

For me this is a stance utterly incomprehensible, to say the less
(biting my tongue)

Cheers,
Paolo.