This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Alternative math libraries
- To: ballen at gravity dot phys dot uwm dot edu, davem at redhat dot com
- Subject: Re: Alternative math libraries
- From: Bruce Allen <ballen at gravity dot phys dot uwm dot edu>
- Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:22:41 -0500 (CDT)
- Cc: moshier at moshier dot ne dot mediaone dot net, ballen at uwm dot edu, libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Reply-To: Bruce Allen <ballen at gravity dot phys dot uwm dot edu>
> Bruce Allen writes:
> > I think it's too bad that the intel linux libm gives incorrect answers.
> I was sure that linux glibc libm on Intel uses the actual x86
> trigometric instructions to implement these routines.
> David S. Miller
That's correct. Those hardware instructions only give the correct
answer when |x|<2^62. For larger |x| one needs to do (correct) argument
reduction. Other libraries (including solaris running on x86) do this;
glibc libm doesn't.