Re: Patch for MIPS targets...

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 02:03:20PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Note that giving a new soname wouldn't really help at all.  You'd have
> to bump the soname of the dynamic linker itself, and that would mean
> recompiling just about everything anyway.  The only difference between

So? That is what you get if you want to run the old binaries. We have
done that for ia32, ia64 and alpha.

> the two ABIs appears to be the base address of shared objects!

I don't believe so. Do you have the ABI spec for IRIX? Have you
compared it against the SVR4 MIPS ABI?

> I've several times posted to the mips list asking the simple questions
> that I need answers to in order to write backwards compatibility code
> for this problem.  When I originally made the patch, I noticed that the
> virtual address of the first LOAD command is almost always the same as
> the MIPS_BASE_ADDRESS entry in DT_INFO.  When is that not true?

I have no idea. Maybe the Linux/MIPS people can help you. As far as
I can tell, the old Linux/MIPS is pretty much broken. It is amazing
it worked as is. I would say you would be mucher better off by just
recompiling everything with the new gcc/binutils.

H.J.